March 6, 2009

Treasure, Treasure, and more Treasure!!!

Today's feature is about Aisha (gorgeous name btw!) from TreasureBoxJewelry! Aisha is from Tinotn Falls, and sells very innovative and beautiful jewelry creations. Enjoy!
I got started in crafting from when I started school. Art class was my favorite class and I liked learning to sew and knit. Unfortunately, I also was very focused on academics, so I let those lag behind. But whenever an opportunity for art came by, I would get really involved in it. I started scrapbooking and making homemade cards and such after I got married but it wasn't until I had my 2 children that I found that I really needed a creative outlet to keep me sane! I wanted to try something new, and I found other moms were making jewelry. Though I had never even thought that I would go this route, that is what I am doing now and I love it!
Some of the things that inspire me are books, naure, works of art. I made a beaded necklace that was inspired by the Greek myth of Persephone. It was one of the first things that was sold in my shop. I usually just sit there with my beads and supplies and play around with them until I find a combo that reminds me of something. I know it's right when I can clearly see the design in my mind after that.

The perfect project would be to take someone's old jewelry that they are about to throw away and make it into a new and beautiful piece that they fall in love with. The perfect project would be anything that involves a challenge and it would be great to see if I could come up with something that would use that jewelry and fit the taste of the person as well!

Dragonfly Charms Optical Lens Necklace Dewdrop Dangle Earrings
I have been selling on Etsy for a little over a month and I love it. Crafting, in one way or another, I have done for over 20 years, but jewelry making is brand new. I started researching materials and techiniques for about a month beforehand and then I dived in.

Be Still My Heart Necklace

It is competitive! There are so many talented people out there and there pieces are breathtaking. But to be intimidated would mean that I making jewelry for the sole purpose of making money. I would of course love to sell my pieces, but the creative outlet that I have discovered gives me such contentment. I feel like I am doing something for myself while staying at home with my young children. I love it when a piece that I have envisioned in my mind turns out even better after I am done making it. I live to look at other designer's jewelry and I think it would be wonderful to sit down with them and talk shop! Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming and I wonder if my things will sell. I hope they do, but the main purpose behind starting this is to be productive and nurture my love of crafting.

Apple Cider Dangle Beaded Earrings
Angel Vintage Locket Necklace Anything else cool?
My husband of almost 8 years is so supportive. My children are 3 and 1 so I rarely craft during the day. I promote and list during that time. However, when he comes home from work, if I want to work on something he will take care of them and allow me to work.
Wow. Sounds like a great arrangement (and congrats on being together for 8 years!!!)
You can visit Aisha's blog at http://treasuredlife786.blogspot.com!
Thanks so much, Aisha!
~ The Creative Crafters

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity